Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 18



I've had a pretty interesting day today! I woke up to the fed-ex man dropping off an urgent over-night delivery package to me. I posted my resume on craigslist.com a few weeks ago, and I've gotten all kinds of interesting job offers, but among them was one interesting request from a man in the UK. Apparently he's story was that he's flying from London to Seattle to meet his wife who lives in Ohio. My job would be to drive them to and from their hotel room, and their business meetings, being available 3 hours a day for 5 days a week, for the month of January. His emails reeked of misspelled words and gaps of vital information like, WHY they are meeting in Ohio, or what flight they are taking, or even what airliner they are flying. I just went along with it because I honestly didn't believe the guy when he said he would send me a payment up front. Of course I open the fed-ex package and what other, than a fairly legitimate looking check for 2949.99 cents. He told me to deposit it right away, and keep "whatever I deemed appropriate as payment for the job, including gas expenses, but then to send the rest to an address in London, so he could book his WIFE's flight? Wait, I thought you said your wife was in Ohio? lol. Someone needs to learn how to scam a little better, hahaha. This isn't the first time on craigslist I've gotten offers like this. They are a persistent bunch, I tell ya. I googled craigslist scam and found this site explaining my situation. The guy even had the audacity to call my cell phone and ask me how things were going. I assured him I would be sending the payment as soon as I cash the check, and ended the call, hoping not to give away that I knew he was an asshole from the start.

Then, I did what I usually do with stuff like this, and found myself an nice lil email loop virus, and sent it right along to him. :)

In other, less interesting or more interesting news, depending on who you are, I learned for the first time about Traffic Exchange. OOOooo what's that? Basically, it's a whole gaggle of websites, that you sign up for, and manually click through websites, in return for people like you clicking through your website. A very interesting concept, but since all of the other clickers are just like you, your visitors only stay for 5-10 seconds before moving along. It's like if a room full of multi-level-marketers, and SEO's had an orgy, Traffic Exchange would likely be their bastard love-children.

I signed up for about 7 of em with a new email address I made, and spent about 4 hours clicking through them, to see what kind of traffic I would get in return.
My handy-dandy site meter tells me I've gotten 73 unique page views so far. NOT BAD! Even though their average visit time is less than a minute, meh, it's still some kind of progress, I think I'll try it tomorrow too. I set it to randomly rotate this blog, and my beer box lens on squidoo. It however had only gotten 7 visitors. Hmmm. Oh well. Today's fallen nuts are tomorrows swaying mighty oak trees I say. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment